Sagging or loose jowls are a common sign of ageing characterised by loose skin hanging at the top of the neck, just below the jawline.
They affect numerous people, but some are more susceptible than others to the appearance of saggy jowls. Although sagging jowls can be a natural part of getting older, they can also be caused by:
- Sun damage
- Lifestyle factors
- Loss of fat e.g. after weight loss
Symptoms of Sagging Jowls
Sagging jowls are characterised by loose skin hanging below the jawline.
The skin can have a loose, crepey texture and be prone to wrinkles, creases and even quite deep folds.
From the side, the chin and jawline lack definition and contours are lost. Some clients refer to this as ‘turkey neck’.
Sagging jowls are a cosmetic problems which means that the main issue is the appearance. Many people feel they are unsightly and can be self-conscious about the issue.
Some people try to tone up the area through facial exercises such as yawning, smiling and puckering the mouth. These tend to be of limited value if any, as they do not tackle the loose skin. Some choose to wear high neck clothing and scarves to cover them up.
Fortunately, there are various cosmetic treatments which can tighten skin in this area and minimise the appearance of sagging jowls.
Saggy Jowls Treatment Options
There are a range of solutions available to improve the appearance of sagging jowls and make the jawline and neck more defined. These include:
- 8-point face lift, also known as a non-surgical face lift, is a sophisticated use of injectable dermal fillers to provide structure, shape and ‘lift’ for loose tissues. This is an advanced facial filler procedure, which can be used to combat a number of cosmetic issues, including wrinkles and fine lines around the cheeks and mouth as well as mild, moderate and severe sagging jowls
- Dermal fillers can help to improve or relatively mild sagging jowls by adding volume to make the jawline more defined. This helps to contour the jaw and minimises the impact of loose jowls. With minimal downtime, dermal fillers offer instant results and can last for months before a top-up treatment is needed.
- Thread lifts are an option which uses tiny invisible and absorbable threads within the skin to lift and smooth the skin tissues
- Dermaroller or Dermapen is a microneedling technique which creates tiny wounds to stimulate the skin’s natural healing response
To find out more about treatment options for sagging jowls, contact Cosmedics Skin Clinics now on 020 7386 0464 – we’re here to help.
For individual advice, the first step is to book an assessment from one of our Aesthetic Doctors or Surgeons. They’ll carefully assess your face, jowls, jawline and neck and discuss your concerns before talking you through your options. There’s no obligation to proceed.