Before and after photos
Laser pigmentation treatment before and after
Laser sun damage pigmentation treatment results
Harmony XL Pro laser used to dramatically improve sun damaged hands
IPL laser treatment to remove sun spots and pigmentation on hands
Laser pigmentation treatment
Cosmedics Skin Clinics’ advanced treatment centre in Putney, SW London offers the latest laser pigmentation treatment using the Harmony XL Pro laser system.
Our Aesthetic Doctors use the advanced laser to target areas of excess pigment within the skin. Laser energy works to safely break down the excess melanin to promote clearer skin. This is a safe, effective treatment for troublesome pigmentation which can be very hard to disguise with makeup.
What sort of pigmentation problems can you treat?
Common pigmentation problems, or ‘Pigmented Epidermal Lesions’, include:
- Café-au-lait macules
Pigmentation – or uneven skin tone – is a skin problem which affects much of the UK adult population and an issue for which treatment options can be quite limited. Generally these pigmentation lesions pose no health risk, but they can be unsightly. Whereas a tan might look healthy while it lasts, pigmentation problems create a longer-term patchy appearance which spoils the complexion, making the skin look older.
The Harmony XL Pro laser offers a safe and effective option for treating a range of pigmentation issues:
- patchy skin tone
- age spots, sun spots, liver spots
- enlarged freckles
Laser pigmentation treatment
Laser skin rejuvenation and pigment treatment is a relatively quick and easy procedure which works to lighten or remove skin pigmentation issues by targeting and breaking down the excess melanin within the skin.
Using no harsh creams or chemicals, the advanced skin system uses specially selected laser wavelengths to break down areas of excessive pigmentation to create a fresher, more even and youthful skin tone, reducing areas of generalised and localised pigmentation and targeting specific areas such as age spots or freckling.
Why do we get pigmentation problems?
Pigmentation can be due to a number of reasons, the most common of which are:
- Sun exposure or sun beds – which can cause sun spots, age spots, freckles, liver spots or a general ‘patchy’ appearance. This is especially noticeable after the age of 40, when the damage has accumulated and the skin is less able to regenerate from sun exposure
- Hormones – pregnancy hormones can cause melasma or ‘pregnancy mask’. Menopause or other hormonal conditions can also trigger pigmentation problems
- Acne – post-inflammatory pigmentation or redness
- Birthmarks – a skin pigment condition that was there from birth
From the age of around 40 the skin is less able to regenerate itself and pigmentation problems such as age spots, sun spots, enlarged freckles start to appear.
Less than 30 minutes
Laser Pigmentation Treatment Costs
|IPL & Laser – First Session|| £350
|IPL & Laser – Follow Up Sessions|| £250
Laser IPL Treatment Consultation
The cost of consultation with our doctors is £75. This is redeemable against the cost of treatment carried out on the same day.
Prices are a guide to the costs and the exact price can only be determined once the doctor has examined you in person.
A course of 2-4 sessions treatment is generally recommended for best results.
Videos - Laser Pigmentation Treatment at Cosmedics
Results of treatment
What our patients say
Meet your medical team
Get In Touch
Please fill in your details and our skin advisors will call you back to give you more information.
You can also add an optional short message.
Laser Pigmentation FAQ: Questions & Answers
Why am I getting pigmentation problems?
The colour in our skin is provided by melanin. It is uneven distribution of melanin which leads to the development of pigmented lesions such as include moles, freckles, age spots, or melasma (a dark, patchy discolouration).
Generally speaking these patches of pigmentation relate to various degrees of damaged skin. Sun exposure is the main contributory factor, but blemishes could be caused by genetics, life cycle, hormonal changes or other factors.
How does IPL laser pigmentation treatment work?
Laser and IPL treatments use intense light to target the melanin in the darkened areas of skin, break it down into tiny fragments and disperse it naturally through the body’s lymphatic system. This results in the clearing of all of the pigmentation layers, removing the appearance of spots and skin hyperpigmentation to reveal even-toned, unblemished skin.
What type of laser is used for laser pigmentation treatment?
Cosmedics Aesthetic Doctors use the Harmony XL Pro laser machine. This is a very advanced and versatile machine which treats a range of conditions using specially designed settings to deliver the best possible impact.
Medical Director, Dr Ross Perry personally selected the Harmony XL Pro machine for excellent safety with outstanding results.
What does laser pigmentation treatment feel like?
Many people think that IPL and laser skin treatment will be uncomfortable or painful. However, the Harmony XL Pro system is safe and comfortable in use.
There is no need for local anaesthetic, numbing or chilling prior to treatment. You can expect to notice a warming sensation but it will not be uncomfortable.
Simultaneous contact cooling technology is incorporated into the applicator tip to cool the skin during treatment for longer periods of time, ensuring a more comfortable treatment for patients.
What are the features of your laser?
The Harmony XL Pro laser machine features include:
- 1064 Q-Switched Nd:YAG laser technology
- High powered Near Infrared technology
- Double rod laser configuration maximises energy production
- Narrow pulse widths with multiple peaks of energy
Laser pigmentation treatment aftercare
- It is normal for the treated area to feel a bit sunburned for a few hours. You can use a cold compress or paracetamol if needed.
- Avoid bathing with very hot water, strenuous exercise, or massage 2-5 days.
- If showering, use warm/tepid water – not overly hot – and mild soap. Pat skin dry (do not rub)
- Avoid picking or scratching the treated skin to achieve your best results. Aloe Vera gel can be helpful in calming any irritations
- Wait for any initial swelling or soreness to go down before using makeup. For aggressive treatments, it is recommended to use new makeup to reduce the possibility of infection.
- Keep the area supple using moisturiser. Choose a product without AHA (alpha-hydroxy acids)
- Avoid direct sun exposure and tanning beds for 1-2 months and throughout the course of the treatment
- Avoid tweezing, waxing, bleaching or chemical peels on the treated area during the course of the treatment
- Do not use any products containing Retin-A, Benzoyl Peroxide or astringents as these could irritate sensitive skin
What to expect after laser pigmentation treatment
Most clients experience mild swelling which may last around 1-2 days. There are no dramatic side-effects and no ‘downtime’, so you can return to work/normal activities the next day.
Why do I need to avoid sun exposure?
It is really important to avoid the sun (including tanning beds) in order to reduce the chance of dark or light spots.
Use sunscreen SPF 25 or higher at all times throughout the treatment when going outside. Also bear in mind that sun exposure is the main cause of pigmentation problems and prevention is the best means of ensuring that they do not recur in the future.
Is treatment safe for all skin types?
Yes, laser pigmentation treatments are specially designed for patient comfort and are safe and effective for all skin types and colours, including dark skin. See https://www.almalasers.com/treatments/aesthetics/pigmented-lesions/.
Should I worry about sun spots?
Most sun spots are harmless, but you should always monitor any skin irregularities and changes of shape, size, colour or behaviour, as certain irregularities might indicate malignant melanoma, a form of skin cancer. If in doubt, contact your GP for an assessment.
Our doctors also specialise in mole checks and mole removal, so if your sun spot turns out to be a mole, we can offer appropriate mole removal treatment options, together with testing for peace of mind.
How much does laser pigmentation treatment cost?
We quote prices per session, with a discount for any follow-on sessions within a course of treatment. Your quote will be confirmed at your consultation, after assessment of your skin and discussion of your objectives. Please see the pricing table for latest guidance.