Acne scarring is characterised by a rough and pitted appearance.
At Cosmedics, we see many patients troubled by the after-effects of acne. Even after the acne itself has cleared, the scars can cause lasting disfigurement to the appearance of the skin, causing ongoing self-consciousness, low esteem and embarrassment.
Very often the scars are worst on the face, which means that they are visible. The fact that they affect the texture and smoothness of the skin makes them quite difficult to conceal with make-up, as it is the actual surface of the skin that is affected rather than a colouration issue.
Types of Acne Scars
Acne scars fall into 4 broad categories with different characteristics. A patient may have one predominent type of scarring, or a mixture of all four. Understanding the nature of the scars is importing in assessing the best possible treatment
- Scars are sharp and deep V-shapes
- These may be treated with laser or Dermaroller microneedling for facial or body acne scars
- Scars tend to be square shaped and may often be found on the cheeks and temples
- Medical chemical peels can help to smoothe the surface of the skin
- Scars are wide but not deep, lending an uneven wavy surface to the skin
- These respond well to microdermabrasion, laser or CACI treatment to improve the texture and surface of the skin
- In this case, scars are raised and lumpy; formed by the more severe acne cysts or spots
- These can be treated with a combination of techniques.
Acne Scarring Treatment
Treatment for acne scarring is not generally available on the NHS but the treatments above are available at private skin clinics such as Cosmedics in London.
Everybody’s skin is different. Researching online is very helpful to understanding the condition, but before selecting a treatment, it is best to have a consultation with a skin expert for advice on which treatment option or combination of treatments would be most effective.
If the acne itself is still active, then treatment for that should take priority, as treating the acne will prevent the appearance of long-lasting scars. Talk to Cosmedics about the next steps for you.