Shave excisions are the easiest and commonest form of mole removal for moles that protrude from the skin.
They involve a tiny painless injection of local anaesthetic just under the mole to numb just that part of the skin.
A special surgical removal technique is then used plane down the mole or lesion so it is flat on the skin.
Mole removal by shaving costs from £310
Add £160 each for additional mole.
- takes a few minutes to perform
- no stitches required
- takes just 7-10 days to heal
- only leaves a tiny mark
Most patients cannot believe how quick and easy it is and often wished they had done it sooner.
If the moles are in any way worrying or we feel that a better cosmetic outcome could be achieved, we we would perform an ellipse excision surgical procedure.
For more before & after photos, please see our comprehensive gallery.
The cost of mole removal is totally inclusive of local anaesthetic, dressings and any follow-up required. We recommend histology / testing of moles in all cases*.
Doctor Consultation** £50:
Prices for treatments carried out in the same appointment as the consultation will include the £50 consultation fee (note: same day procedures are only undertaken where the procedure is deemed appropriate to do so AND the patient understands the full extent of the costs, risks and potential side effects and is consenting to proceed on that knowledge).
Shave Excision +/- Laser – no stitches, minimal scarring, pain-free. This is the most common procedure we use.
|Moles||Surgery Cost||Histology* Cost||Total Cost|
* Histology or mole testing – It is our policy that ALL moles are sent for testing for ultimate peace of mind. This involves the mole that is removed being sent to another laboratory where it is examined by a doctor to ensure all the layers of the skin are normal. Very occasionally even moles that look fine after removal can be found to have abnormalities lower down. This microscopic histopathology testing is the only 100% guarantee the mole is normal.
** Doctor consultations are purely for the moles patients request to have assessed for removal and do not constitute a full body mole check. This is available as a separate service for a top-to-toe review of your skin and identification of any worrying lesions.
Prices above are a guide to the costs and the exact price can only be determined once the doctor has examined the mole and advice given as to the best way of removal. Larger and more complex moles are likely to incur a higher fee.
How to minimise scarring
Our team not only uses the best and latest mole removal procedures but our aftercare protocol ensures quick healing and minimal scarring.
As part of our aftercare we recommend the use of Kelo-cote UV silicon scar gel that is clinically proven to reduce scarring and protects the healing wound from sunlight.
Cosmedics now stock this product with UV protection which protects the healing wound from sunlight (which can delay healing).
This means mole removal is ideal all year round with this added sun protection and you can be sure you are getting the best outcome possible.
Aftercare for Mole Removal by Shave Excision
The information below is an aftercare guide to shave excisions. For those with stitches (ellipse excisions please see guidance in the relevant section)
After the procedure the area will remain numb for 2-3 hours. After this the anaesthetic will wear off and the wound will feel like a graze. Simple paracetamol or ibuprofen for 1-2 days will minimize any discomfort.
What to Expect after Mole Removal
Mole Healing Day by Day
- Day 1-3 you can expect the area to be red and the edges slightly inflamed and raised. This normal as it is part of the healing process. Any discomfort should be getting slowly better. If is getting significantly worse let us know.
- Day 3-10 the wound will have red edges with a yellow green center to it that is part of the normal healing process
- Day 10-14 wound will appear red and last areas of healing will slowly close over
- Day 14- 28 the wound will be red but healing well and according to how well you heal will start to fade and flatten out.
- Month 1-3 the area will start to fade from red color to pinkish. If the wound is getting lumpy or raised this is unlikely to be the mole re-growing but possibly the wound over healing in which case contact us and we can review the area. Simply massage with biooil and applying silicon gels ( dermatix or kelocote) often help minimize the scarring.
- Month 3-9 the scar tissue will start remodeling and fading to lighter skin color with less redness. Occasionally some pigmentation / coloration can reappear and if this happens and is significant contact us and we can remove this coloration if it is of concern.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I wash as normal?
Yes you can but be careful to keep the area dry for the first 2-3 days and avoid soaking the area ie long baths or swimming for 7 days.
Can I take painkillers?
Yes simple paracetamol and ibuprofen are sufficient especially in the first 1-2 days. Thereafter any discomfort should decrease.
Can I do exercise?
Our advice is for smaller wounds it is best to leave for a 2-3 days but gentle walking etc is ok. If it is an area that rubs against the wound leave for 7-10 days.
Should I expect any bleeding?
There maybe a small amount of oozing into the dressing but if it more than that pressure should be applied to the area with a tissue for 10-20 minutes until it has stopped. Should it continue or the area get painful please contact us.
Will I get any bruising?
Yes some bruising in the area is quite normal. This normally takes 7-14 days to settle and gentle massage and arnica cream can help speed up the recovery.
What our patients say
A great treatment and Michelle was amazing. Professional, personable and really kind. I’ve already rebooked!
Posted 1 day ago
Highly recommend Dr Perry. Had botox and fillers and the results are amazing. He is very informative and explains everything before he does the treatment. Will definitely be returning for future treatments.
Posted 3 days ago
I have had my eyebrows micro-bladed by the lovely Sienna- only been a few days so they haven’t settled down yet but so far looking really good! Brilliant staff member, very friendly and chatty Definitely go and get them done here! 😎
Posted 5 days ago
Great staff, brilliant results, so happy i’ve used Cosmedics. I would recommend this to everyone. Ana is brilliant, very thorough, really friendly and a lot of fun.
Posted 5 days ago
Excellent treatment. Anna is always very patient and makes me feel comfortable. She always explains the treatment to make me feel at ease. Very happy with the results so far.
Posted 6 days ago
Had a shave excision done with Dr Vardy twice so far - both were effortless and I’m so pleased with the result. She takes the time to explain everything and made me feel at ease. Won’t see anyone else for this procedure in the future!
Posted 2 weeks ago
Very professional and friendly service. Highly recommend. Dr Britt Vardy was very calming and made me feel at ease.
Posted 3 weeks ago
I have been coming to Cosmedics Putney for over 5 years and they are excellent ,the therapists are always so professional and efficient at the same time as being very warm and thoughtful.The reception is great and the clinic is bright and airy. Anna is brilliant. Thank you
Posted 3 weeks ago
Fantastic facial. Made my skin glow and so relaxing.
Posted 3 weeks ago
Always great service at Cosmedics Putney!
Posted 3 weeks ago