Will ageing be different for younger generations?
As seen in Woman’s Own
Columnist Dawn Neeson takes a look at how the experience of getting older could be different in the future in her ‘Mind of my Own’ article.
“An ageing generation”
“They might be younger than us, but they won’t look it in years to come.
“Getting older used to be something we just did. Not great, but we lived with it because the alternative wasn’t too hot.”
However, she considers:
“…a weird thing is happening. Because probably for teh first time in history, the younger generations are looking older. And even weirder is it’s all because they want to look ‘better’. Indeed, Gen Z – those born between 1997 and 2012 – are ageing worse than Gen Y (1981-1996, also called millenials), according to those who specialise in aesthetic cosmetic treatments”
Dawn suggests that 42 year old Holly Willoughby looks ‘fresh-faced’ compared to ‘random 22 year olds gracing programmes like Love Island or the likes of 26-year-old Kylie Jenner’.
The issue is a hot topic on TikTok with over 20 million views in January 2024 so far.
On the one hand, Gen Y/millennials have learnt good self care habits from previous generations – smoking less, eating healthil, practising safer sun habits, exercising more and being aware of mental health issues.
So what is making them look ‘older’?
“Gen 7 worshipped at the altar of Instagram reality and ‘tweakments’ to try to conform to some stereotypical idea of youth and beauty.”
Dawn takes expert advice and guidance on the issue from Dr Ross Perry – London GP, cosmetic doctor and founder of Cosmedics Skin Clinics.
As a leading aesthetic Doctor Ross says:
“It’s not uncommon to see 18-year-olds will lip filler. Twenty-year-olds are having Botox and fillers, semi-permanent make-up on their eyebrows and lips, all of which combined can make you appear older.”
Can Botox and fillers look natural?
Yes, Botox and fillers can definitely look natural when done correctly! The key is to find a skilled and experienced injector who understands your individual goals and facial anatomy.
Here are some factors that contribute to achieving a natural look with Botox and fillers:
- Choosing the right injector: This is arguably the most important factor. Make sure you choose a medically qualified practitioner who has extensive experience with these procedures. They will be able to assess your needs and recommend the best type and amount of Botox or filler for you.
- Start conservatively: It’s always better to start with a smaller amount of Botox or filler and add more later if needed. This will help to avoid an overly filled or frozen look. A gradual approach is far more natural-looking.
- Using the right technique: There are different injection techniques for different areas of the face. An experienced injector will know how to place the Botox or filler in a way that looks natural.
- Focusing on balance: The goal is to enhance your natural beauty, not to create a completely different look. Your injector should focus on creating balance and harmony in your features.
- Manage expectations: It’s important to understand that Botox and fillers are not magic bullets. They can help to improve the appearance of wrinkles and lines, but they will not make you look 20 years old again. Natural results are when you look good for your age, not like somebody else.
Dr Ross Perry
Dr Ross Perry regularly provides expert comment and advises the media on a range of skincare and health-related issues.
He has particular expertise in skin surgery mole removal and melanoma; having removed thousands of moles in his career, both within the NHS and privately through Cosmedics Skin Clinics. He has provided expert advice on sun damage and sun protection for a variety of UK media and publications.
He also comments on the latest cosmetic and anti-ageing treatment methods.
Cosmedics Skin Clinics
Cosmedics Skin Clinics was established in 2003 and has built up an excellent reputation for cosmetic and medical treatments, carried out by GMC Registered Doctors. The company offer a full range of cosmetic treatments, including popular lip enhancement and anti-wrinkle injections/fillers; plus medical treatments including mole removal, thread vein treatment and excessive sweating injections.
Cosmedics Skin Clinics has a team of skin treatment doctors and surgeons in their 5 skin clinics across London and Bristol led by Dr Ross Perry.
Call 020 7386 0464 or email email@example.com to book an appointment.
Get In Touch
Please fill in your details and our skin advisors will call you back to give you more information.
You can also add an optional short message.