For elliptical excisions we normally advise the following aftercare:
- Keep the wound dry for 2 days;
- Dressings can be left for up to a week;
- You will be informed as to whether your stitches are dissolvable or need to be removed;
- Over 1 to 2 weeks, in areas where the skin is under tension such as the back and legs, it is advisable to reduce exercises which would possibly stretch the wound;
- Steri-strips can be applied over the wound for up to 3 weeks to help the wound heal;
- After 3 weeks the wound can be massaged with oils bio-oil or silicon scar creams (dermatix);
- If there is any increasing pain or redness consult your doctor as it could be a sign of infection.