Once the wound has healed (typically around 2 weeks) then scar therapy can start. Our advice for the best scar reduction therapy is as follows:
Cyst removal from body/limbs
- Continue to support the wound with steri-strips or micropore tape for 2 months changing them every couple of days as they get worn. The reason for this that even though the wound has healed the wound is only at about 50% of its normal skin strength at this stage, so in areas when the skin moves a lot the scar then stretches if it is not supported during these first few few months whilst it regains more strength.
- After the period of strapping for 1-2 months, you can then start to massage with Silicon scar gel, Bio-Oil or vitamin e cream. This should be done 2-3 times a day for the next 3 months to help improve the redness and texture of the scar.
Cyst removal from facial areas
- Apply silicon scar gel twice a day, morning and evening. Dermatix or Kelo-cote are available at Cosmedics Skin Clinics or at most chemists.
- Make-up can be applied over the top once the scar gel has dried if needed.
- Gentle massage during the day using moisturising cream or oil (e.g. Bio-Oil) helps soften the scar as well. This can be done for up to 3 months.