Electrolysis is the only medically approved form of permanent hair removal and has the longest known track record together with the most effective results for hair removal.
The advantage of electrolysis is that after treatment, the follicle is permanently destroyed, so the hair is unable to grow back.
Electrolysis is performed by inserting an incredibly fine needle into the hair follicle. The electrolysis machine then sends a tiny amount of electrical current which through a combination of heat and chemical reaction, destroys the follicle and prevents regrowth.
Advantages of Electrolysis Treatment:
Compared to other hair removal methods:
- It is less expensive than IPL or laser
- It causes permanent destruction of the hair follicle, so results are excellent
- It can be used on fine hair
- Effective on light coloured hair
- Ideal for facial hair e.g. top lip, chin, awkward hair on moles
- Suitable for sensitive areas
Disadvantages of Electrolysis Treatment:
- Treatment tackles a hair follicle at a time, so can be slow
- Treatment needs to be repeated in a course in order to tackle each follicle at the correct stage in its growth cycle
- For larger areas, you may consider laser hair removal or waxing – both of these are available at Beauty at Cosmedics in our Putney clinic